Be a part of history as a guest at the Rössl

From a hunting lodge to a traditional inn: the founder, Franz Ambach, showed true pioneering spirit, arranging for the first tourists to arrive on a stagecoach service from Bozen to Kaltern.



A centuries-old history: The inn’s history goes back several centuries, with the first two floors dating back to 1591. In the 17th century the Weisses Rössl was known as a hunting lodge.

At that time the inn was owned by the Röggla family. The family was succeeded by the widow Telser, who commissioned the renovation of the Rössl.
The third floor was added to increase the available space. After a while, however, the widow went bankrupt owing to the high cost of the renovation works.

The Weisses Rössl was acquired by the Ambach family in 1902. The family was able to raise enough money for further investments through the sale of the former inn and the stagecoach service.

The Weisses Rössl celebrates its 433rd birthday this year. Looking out over Kaltern’s market square, it has seen and experienced a great deal over the centuries.

After the Second World War tourism too finally began to flourish in Kaltern. The owners began to modernise the inn, with new dining premises built and running water in the bedrooms. In 1952 the Weisses Rössl was listed as a historic monument.

In 1952 the Weisses Rössl was listed as a historic monument.


The Tyrolean sovereign couple at the Weisses Rössl Inn

In November 1662, Archduke Ferdinand Karl, sovereign ruler of Tyrol, and his consort Anna de’ Medici came to South Tyrol to hunt wild boar. They stayed at the Weisses Rössl, at that time still known as a hunting lodge. The 34-year-old Archduke died on 30 December of that year at the Weisses Rössl in Kaltern. A portrait in the hall of the inn commemorates the Archduke Ferdinand Charles de’ Medici.


Preserving our cultural heritage in its original form

16th century Marian frescoes
“The Merry Wives of Windsor”

The impressive 16th century Marian frescoes on the first floor are among the oldest wall paintings in the building. The vaulted structure with frescoes once formed part of the chapel that belonged to the inn.
The fresco in the dining room was commissioned in 1951. It depicts Otto Nicolai’s opera, “The Merry Wives of Windsor”.

oldest representation of the market square

The hotel is adorned with stucco and coffered ceilings of varying types. The stucco ceiling in the ballroom dates from the 17th century and is the oldest representation of the market square.
The square is dominated by an oversized depiction of the Weisses Rössl: the former town hall and the prison are also clearly visible, while the fountain in the square was already in existence. It is a matter of great importance for us to preserve this culturally significant building unspoilt for future generations.

For generations we have strived to preserve and celebrate the beauty of our surroundings.